EVENT AT A GLANCE
- 1,200 specially invited guests
- SKY Sports branded staircase up to mezzanine level
- Branded experiential elements available for all guests, including darts with the legendary Eric Bristow
- Stunning table settings and specially designed staging
- Three course dinner served by Smart Hospitality
- Hosted by TV comedian Michael McIntyre
- A Guinness World Record beer tasting attempt took place and the record was smashed in style
- Post-awards entertainment with the Rick Parfitt Jnr band
- Midnight snacks during the after party
Celebrating 25 years of pub industry excellence while breaking world records were just some of the highlights of the “Pub Oscars” (Tue, 15th March 2016). The cream of the pub trade’s multiple operators gathered at Battersea Evolution in London for the 25th anniversary of The Publican Awards, in association with Sky, organised by the Publican’s Morning Advertiser to reward pub sector excellence.
Moving away from its Park Lane location to Battersea Evolution for the first time, the awards were hosted by TV comedian Michael McIntyre. The night also featured a Guinness World Record set for the largest beer tasting, with more than 1,200 participants smashing the previous record, along with top entertainment and a fantastic after‐party.
Headline sponsors Sky brought extra celebrity and fun to proceedings with a takeover of the mezzanine area, incorporating sports experiences and famous names, including World Champion boxer Johnny Nelson and Sky Sports News presenter Hayley McQueen to coach, commentate and co‐present alongside guests. This year’s charity was provided by Prostate Cancer UK with its Men Utd campaign which saw more than £9,000 raised on the night.
Editor of the Publican’s Morning Advertiser, Ed Bedington, said: “I’d like to pay tribute to all our worthy finalists and a big congratulations to all our winners on the night. Judging these awards is both an honour and a privilege and one we take very seriously. This is an industry that is tough and challenging, but we have some fantastic operators that are rising to those challenges and are an example not just to the wider hospitality industry, but to business operators across all spectrums. These awards are a great chance to shout about all the great work that is going on in this sector, and the fact they’ve been doing that for 25 years now is a great milestone to see.”
The organiser of the awards, The Publican’s Morning Advertiser, owned by William Reed Business Media, is the industry leading trade paper, founded by the trade in 1796.
Hazel Batchelar of William Reed Business Media commented: “The Publican Awards 2016 took place at Battersea Evolution for the first time in March 2016. The venue worked fantastically for our event and our guests were thrilled with the new improved Publican Awards. The Food and Service received were excellent.”
For more information, visit: www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Running-your-pub/Events-Occasions/Publican-Awards-2016
WHAT HAPPENED ON THE EVENING?
- 1,200 specially invited guests arrived from 6:00pm dressed in Black-tie and glamorous long dresses.
- Guests ascended the SKY Sports branded staircase, to enjoy a glass of Prosecco on the mezzanine level.
- A variety of branded experiential elements were available for all guests, including darts with the legendary Eric Bristow.
- Following the drinks reception the main room was revealed. Guests marvelled at the stunning table settings and specially designed staging.
- A three course dinner was served by Smart Hospitality overseen by head chef David Ridgeway.
- The Publican Awards followed dinner, hosted by TV comedian Michael McIntyre.
- A Guinness World Record beer tasting attempt took place and the record was smashed in style.
- After the awards, the Rick Parfitt Jnr band took to the stage where guests danced the night away and enjoyed additional complimentary food and drink.
- Carriages at 2:00am
Menu served by Smart Hospitality
Red mullet with white bean and jamón gnocchi, saffron sauce
Warm wild mushroom salad roasted tomato hollandaise sauce polenta croutons (v)
Braised beef cheeks with a burnt onion emulsion, buttered kale, roast potatoes and baby heritage carrots
Pumpkin filled gnocchi with Barkham blue velouté, walnut and spinach pesto, watercress (v)
Salted caramel mousse, Bramley apple compote, roasted oats, brandy snap and vanilla ice cream
Tea/Coffee and petit-fours
Bun and apple sauce
Mini Smoked Haddock & Mozzarella Fishcakes
Whiting, Spring Onion & Mustard Fishcake
Entrance to the awards
View from the stage
Dinner for over 1,200 guests
Star host Michael McIntyre
After party with tasty midnight snacks
Publican Awards winners
Thu 18 May 2017
Wed 17 May 2017
Wed 10 May 2017
Battersea Evolution Tweets
- Want to find out where you'll be sitting at #TheBA17 tomorrow? You can check online today! Visit ➡️ britisharrows.com/connect/
- Just 6 hours until we welcome the esteemed #TheBA17 to @BatterseaEvo. Are you ready? https://t.co/SCz4fTP6UL
- Looking forward to seeing you at @BatterseaEvo this evening! #TheBA17 twitter.com/siren_music/st…